With the growing use of the internet, the crime of identity theft is also increasing. Identity theft via the internet can land you in devastating situation since you may have to end up spending abundant time, money and energy to solve your problem. Today, stealing your personal information from the internet is no big deal. The major reason for committing such an act is to hide the thief’s own personal information or to commit to any offence/crime/fraud in your name. Talking about how your personal information can easily go in the hands of thieves, spam mails, strange links, sharing passwords, doubtful e-commerce websites, etc. are some sources that trick and trap you to steal your private data easily.
Sometimes, even you are not aware of how many debts and losses you have incurred. To avoid the worst of conditions, it is better to realize the importance of identity theft prevention.
It is a saying “Prevention is better than cure”. In this case too, it is recommended to take preventive measures to protect your ID from being compromised or stolen rather than facing troubles and taking efforts after being victimized. Here are the top 5 tips on identity theft prevention by securing and safeguarding your internet:
- Always protect your computer and smartphone with full proof security software so that your operating system is less likely to fall prey to viruses and also, in the hands of criminals.
- Spam mails and doubtful links are majorly responsible for online identity theft. Learn to spot junk emails and fake links for identity theft prevention. Avoid clicking on such uncertain links and logging on such websites.
- For instance, the email shows it is from your bank that has all the correct information about you, your account number, right logos. However, it is not necessary that the mail is from your bank. You can always cross check it by visiting the actual website from your search engine, instead of clicking on the link provided in the email. It is not at all safe to reply to anonymous senders. Always think twice before giving out your personal information on emails.
- For identity theft prevention, please keep strong passwords. Weak passwords are simply hacked causing havoc for you. Strong passwords can be created by using over 10 characters that are a combination of upper case, lower case, numbers and symbols. Don’t keep a password that has your personal info such as your date of birth, name, telephone number etc. since they can be easily recognized by the criminal, especially when he closely knows you.
- Never make online purchases from malicious or unknown ecommerce website, particularly when it prompts to you to give out personal information and credit card number. Letting your private information out on an open internet forum, discussion group or likewise can damage you personally as well as financially. Downloading a file from an untrusted site is a big risk.
Hence, these are some few tips that can save you from online identity theft. However, you need to use your common sense too. There are organizations that provide you with innumerable identity theft protection. These identity theft services offer safe, sound and legal protection to your identity. Lastly, Identity theft services should include placing fraud alerts, fraud monitoring, and the ability to place a credit freeze, and guarantee that your personal information will be safe.
Jonas Patrick is the experts in identity theft protection services and working with KeepMyID .Org. He always shares tips and steps on identity theft prevention and protection.